Dear Friends,

"BadTrans.B is a retooled version of a worm that was first
released in April."

I find the timing to be curious.  Just now, all dressed
up and going everywhere Windoze can send it.

"Cluley said that once the virus is active on a system,
BadTrans.B will e-mail itself to addresses contained in
e-mail address books, Web cache and the "My Documents"
folder. If the virus sends itself to an e-mail address
found on the hard drive rather than in the address book,
then it will simply use the subject line 'Re:'."

Including places you never thought Windoze could find.

"BadTrans.B also randomly generates a file name for the
infected attachment, using a variety of different phrases."

It hides itself cleverly...

"Once active on a system, BadTrans.B activates a Trojan horse
program that will attempt to monitor the infected system and
record user names, passwords and other sensitive data and forward
them to a designated e-mail address on free e-mail service
MailandNews.com."

...and it does password logging and captures usernames.  Huh.

"'The fact that BadTrans.B can log private details through
keystrokes has huge implications for personal and corporate
confidentiality, and underlines the recent advances in
virus-writing techniques,' Sunner said."

Yep.  And we know of a group with a sudden interest in,
and recent Congressional authorization for, exploiting
those advances.

"Whether the e-mail address that the private information is
relayed to belongs to the worm's author is still unknown,
Cluley and Sunner said. E-mails sent to the address have
neither bounced back nor netted a reply from a recipient.
The MailandNews service did not immediately reply to
inquiries."

Would it not be ultra-cool if MailandNews.com wrote back
to say, "We cannot divulge the ownership of that account
due to national security considerations."?! <grin>

Fun speculation.  The above is speculation, it is only
speculation, and any similarity to heavy-handed cynicism
was deliberate.

Regards,

Jim
 http://www.Cambist.net/ --> spend e-gold as GoldMoney