At 09:37 AM +1000 12/02/2001, kbailnz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am wondering if any of you can help me please.
>
>I entered my e-gold account and changed the password this morning and a
>message came up in the members site " change password from ****** to******
>updated user 177954"  My e-gold in not 177954 but something completely
>different.  I instantly transfered my gold out into another account and then
>went back to do a spend of 1 cent to 177954 and the name Kathy Sues Account
>came up who I never heard of.
>
>This happens every time I change my password.

Hi. That's because it's an update number from the system (which numbers
everything it does).

IF you're on the https://www.e-gold.com site (with proper cert. see Jay's
recent post) you are safe, but ONLY if you've avoided clicking on various
spammed atttachments which WILL put keystroke loggers on a computer.
(BTW, from the level of sendings of the worm described here days ago at:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/cgi-bin/virauto.cgi?vid=26784 I can report
that the general state of computer security out there hovers from "dismal"
to "abysmal.") Anyway, you can create one account or one thousand, but
if your computer was compromised when you used the e-gold site then
your e-gold will be insecure.

More accounts are not an adequate substitute for computing securely in
the first place, so if you think a computer is insecure I'd suggest making it
secure *before* using e-gold on it.
JMR

http://www.e-gold.com/stats.html lets you observe the e-gold system's activity now!