>>  Let's say Japan follows Argentina the way of the Dodo, and then a
>>  couple of other minor countries too.  Let's say the 'Great Reckoning'
>>  all happens and the USD goes to hell.  The credit cycle is over!
>>  Doom!
>
>I don't understand. How do you envision this 'end-game' scenario coming
>about?

I don't know!

>  What do you see happening to the value of the USD, and how can it
>significantly change in value?

I don't know!  I don't entirely understand the mechanism in say
Argentina or Weimar Germany!

Certainly, the USD (or anything) can "change value" significantly.
(Eg, it is now worth 99% less than in was say before WW1.)

>  Moreover, if the USD becomes worthless, then
>the advantage is to those who DO have mortgages, since they'll be able to
>pay them off easily.

Fair enough -- that's what i was asking.

But what if you're suddenly only making say $100 a month instead of
$1000 -- it would be hard to pay that mortgage!

>  Glory be to those in debt, when their debts become
>worthless. And if the USD undergoes severe deflation, then the place to put
>wealth would be in USD, since it will be undergoing the greatest long-term
>gain.
>
>SnowDog

"Most of the world's great religions are hijacked from time to time by
men who use the religious faith of others to manipulate them for self-
serving purposes. Environmentalism is different however. It is not a
religion that happens to be manipulated from time to time for political
purpose--for the power and money it can bring to its controllers.
Environmentalism is a religion which has been deliberately created, for
the sole purpose of manipulating its followers." Arthur B. Robinson, 2001.