Hi,

There is a simple way to make the e-gold account much safer.

One could allow users to respond to the turing number in different ways, as an
optional extra security.
For example if the turing number is  534712 , my response could be 217435 (reverse
order), or perhaps 712534, or 465287,..
There are really many possibilities to alter the turing number in a formulaic way,
known by the user (easy to remember) and also known by the e-gold server as a
special setting in the account setup.
This way the e-gold server can quickly check if the user responds to the turing
number in the right way.
This makes it much more difficult to crack an account because even if you know
somebody's passphrase and have found a way to scan the turing number (as someone
has demonstrated), you still don't know what is the right way to respond to the
turing number.

Some examples of easy to remember possibilties:
turing number:  abcdef                123456

reverse:  fedcba                         654321
shift 3 numbers:  defabc                    456123
fixed change of 3rd digit:   ab4def                124456
summation:  a+b+c+d+e+f                    21
summation + fixed number:   a+b+c+d+e+f + 500                 521

Once this becomes possible, I would like to have the option to have an automatic
email message sent to me whenever sombody tries to log into my account , with the
correct password but wrong response to the turing number.
This would mean that somebody has found my passphrase and is trying to crack the
turing code.
It alerts me to change the passphrase.

What do you think?

Danny