At 12:00 AM -0500 3/7/02, e-gold Discussion digest wrote:

>  >The Nigerian thing is a classic:
>>
>>Year in year out I receive this letter probably 3-4 times/yr as SPAM. The
>>only difference I see in this one is that they took the time to update it
>>for recent world events. But it is always the death of an husband, the
>>husband is always a "prominent" figure and it's always in the $20M+, and
>>always in Nigeria
>>
>>The 1st time I saw that letter goes back AT LEAST 10 years... no kidding.
><SNIP>

*I manage to get them about 3-4 times/MONTH as SPAM.  Amazing how
similar they are.  I engaged one guy, from Sierra Leone or somewhere
like that, in conversation.  Claimed to be a lawyer named Charles
Colson.  Had numerous emails back and forth, but he really came up
with nothing in the way of information.  All sorts of claims, though,
especially that since he wasn't from Nigeria, it couldn't be a
Nigerian scam! <G>

The brother of a friend of mine was actually at Heathrow, $25K in
cash, going down to Nigeria to consummate the deal.  We were able to
intercept him about an hour before he boarded.  He was not unpleased
after being fully educated. :))

And ten years doesn't even come close.  I used to get them via snail
mail in the early 80s, as I recall, about once a month.  As someone
said, you've gotta be truly stupid and/or greedy to get taken on one
of these deals.

Eric