A few people on the list have been asking recently about
the 'Nigerian scam' and as I have received some offers also, it seems
likely that the list members' emails have been harvested, so I think
it would be a good idea if I wrote about the '419 scam' briefly.

In one form or another this scam has been going on since, believe it
or not, the sixteenth century. People in England would receive a
letter from a prisoner in Spain who claimed that he was a distant
foreign relation. He would ask for help as he was currently
imprisoned in Spain and was worried that, with his failing health,
there would be no-one to act as guardian for his young daughter who
was being kept in a nunnery. The reason he was requesting the
(supposed) distant relative's help was to retrieve a large amount of
treasure, the payroll (in gold coins) which the Prisoner and his
cohorts had stolen during the Cuban Mutiny and buried. The only map
to the whereabouts of the loot had been hidden in a hollow desk.
However the desk was now part of a consignment of furniture being
held in a bonded warehouse and was liable to be sold off if the
bonding fees where not paid. If the relative could just send the
money for the fees to a cohort (usually a priest) they could all be
wildly wealthy.

With some variation this scam has gone on and on. If the sucker
actually sends money then there will be another expense (perhaps a
boat fare or a bribe to a customs official) and so-on. The psychology
is a simple one of greed and of the sucker being willing to throw
good money after bad.

The modern incarnation, the Nigerian Oil Millions scam, works on the
same principles but using modern communications. Email and faxes are
used widely, while many thousands of letters are sent every year. In
fact, I read an article that something  like a quarter of all
Nigeria's outgoing mail is shredded due to the detection of fake
postage stamps.

There are numerous good web-pages on the 419 scam, such as

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

http://www.quatloos.com/cm-niger/cm-niger.htm

and so on.

I urge everyone to read them and protect yourself against this scam.

New Books at Discount Prices
  --- Send the right message ---

        + Today freemail +

Get your free, private email address at