Dear SnowDog,

> Except, I'm not talking about currency; I'm talking
> about escrow.

Right.  Here's something to know: Cambist.net offers an
escrow service.

When I get contacted by someone who is about to be
scammed by an escrow fraud, I suggest that they respond
by saying, "Hey, let's not use escrow4all.net, let's
use either Cambist.net or Metal-Escrow.com."

I suggest this idea, not knowing if Simon "Sidd"
Davis, the guy topping the list of Pecunix business
plan team members, has ever offerred anything even
remotely like escrow.  The purpose of the suggestion
is for the would-be victim to suggest an obvious out
to the possibly legitimate seller: don't use a bad
escrow agent, use a good one.

To this point, not a single would-be victim has found
an actual seller wanting to use an actual escrow service,
and come back with, "Hey, Jim, how does your escrow
thing actually work."  So, maybe Sidd doesn't offer a
Metal-Escrow escrow service, and perhaps the high regard
in which he seems to be held by some members of this list
isn't entirely well merited, but...if there is a way to
foil fraud escrow, it seems worth doing.

Here's what Cambist would do with an escrow request:
we would have the buyer pay gold into one of our
accounts, probably one of the GoldBarter.com accounts
just so the metal doesn't get swapped for e-silver
(which is now a possibility with Cambist.net).  The
buyer puts in a gram more than the amount the seller
would get.

If the seller's goods arrive, the buyer notifies us, and
we release the gold to the seller, less our gram.  If
the seller's goods don't arrive, we release the gold to
the buyer, and keep only half a gram.

During this operation, the seller should be motivated to
use a tracking service with his shipment, such as offered
by even the rudimentary delivery service of the US post
awful.  That way, he can say, "Wait, the shipment is
stuck in Poughkeepsie!"  Or, Peoria. Or, both.

That's how we do escrow, for now.

The great news is that we are building escrow into
version 2.0 of GoldBarter.com.  That way, a seller
can know that a bidder's offer is fully vested.  And
the seller can choose to *only* accept such bids.
When the auction closes, the buyer notifies GoldBarter.com
of delivery, and the seller gets the gold (less our
fees for the successful sale and escrow).

Now, you say, "Hey, what about a dishonest buyer?"
He gets the goods, then claims non-delivery.  We
turn to the seller and say, "Well?"  Seller now
provides proof of delivery, which we corroborate.
The gold is in our hands.  We get to make the tough
choice. But, let's face it, in the midst of a dispute,
taking any action could be unwise.  So, we either
get both sides to agree, or we wait until all the
evidence is in hand.

Fortunately, much of this exciting stuff can be
automated.  Only the most exciting part, where
the parties won't agree that delivery has transpired,
that part we have to play a case at a time.

Oh, and, did I mention that proxy bidding is part
of GoldBarter v.1.1, soon to be released?  Well,
there you have it.

Regards,

Jim
 http://goldbarter.com/