Specifically Dr. Mary Ruwart, who is one of my favorite people
anyway! Thanks, Dr. Ruwart, your answers alone make it worth
subscribing, IMO. I think I'll click a bit of e-gold to the Advocates
now, since I haven't done that lately.

Hey Paul, have you seen http://102536.clicktwocents.com and
http://www.fastsci.com/?102536-1 yet? Now ANY account can
be easily configured to work with the SCI! :)
JMR

Excerpt from:

THE LIBERATOR ONLINE

    March 26, 2002
    Vol. 7, No. 6
    Circulation: 52,648 in 105 countries

    Published by the Advocates for Self-Government.
    Created and edited by Paul Schmidt, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Co-edited by James W. Harris, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<mega-snip!>

ASK DR. RUWART

    How can you answer difficult questions about libertarianism
    -- in short, positive, persuasive soundbite-sized responses?
    It's a challenge every libertarian communicator faces.

    Dr. Mary Ruwart is a leading expert in libertarian
    communication, and author of the international bestseller
    Healing Our World. In this column she gives readers "short
    answers to the tough questions" that libertarians are
    frequently asked.

    If you'd like Dr. Ruwart to craft effective answers to YOUR
    "tough questions" on libertarian issues, just email the
    questions to her at: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] . *Due to
    volume, Dr. Ruwart can't personally answer or acknowledge all
    email queries.* But we'll run the best questions -- and Dr.
    Ruwart's answers -- in upcoming issues.

    Dr. Ruwart's past answers are archived in searchable form at
    http://www.self-gov.org/ruwart/

    * * *

Gold or silver: which metal is best for currency?

    Question:

    "While a gold standard might be nice, as pointed out in a
    previous "Ask Dr. Ruwart" question gold is useful in many
    applications including electronics. Wouldn't America's
    original standard, silver, be a better backer for our
    currency?"

    My short answer:

    "Any commodity would be superior to paper currency, which is
    backed only by a government's promise to tax its citizens,
    either directly, or indirectly through inflation. In a
    libertarian society with today's technology, different
    currencies might be backed by different commodities. Indeed,
    that's the case today at "e-gold LTD," a private company that
    issues an online metal-backed "electronic currency." E-gold
    users can make their transactions in silver, gold, platinum,
    or palladium (though gold remains by far the most popular
    metal for that company's customers).

    "Such diversity allows consumers to spread their assets over
    a variety of currencies to protect them from fluctuations
    that might occur due to changes in mining, commercial use,
    etc."