At 18:28 2002-03-31 +0400, Alexander Fedotov wrote:
>   It seems that fraudsters designed and engineered a new psychological
>trick I'd like to warn you about. Yesterday I received an e-mail (all
>Russian language translated) from "Friend" with a subject that sounds
>something like "You rock!" and a message "You are on the news! You
>rock!" and URL
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk
>@gazeta.rin.ru/cgi-bin/print.pl?idnews=99&name=Fedotov|Alexander|&mail=*
>****@******.ru    (intentionaly spoiled link)

Hmmm... This is the second time I see this type of "URL" in a gimmick
mentioned on this list. The trick is in the use of the '@' character.

While the whole thing APPEARS like http://news.bbc.co.uk, it actually
is for http://gazeta.rin.ru/cgi-bin/print.pl (etc).

If you enter that fake URL into the Opera browser it issues a warning.
If you enter it to IE, it, of course, just takes you right to whatever
is AFTER the '@' sign. Yet another security hole in IE5. :(

As e-gold users, we need to be taking a good look at every URL we see,
so we do not fall for scams like e-qold.com. Looking for the '@' in a
fake URL is another thing we apparently must be doing from now on.

Adam
---
http://EasyDomain.com/
Domains for less