> I would have thought the proper ordinary numbers for companies with a
1800
> number would be an ordinary number in their local  area code.

This doesn't necessarily work because 800 numbers are dynamuc, ie not
necessarily linked to one specific location.

For example, you might call an 800 number to order a pizza and it will
connect you to the nearest location of that pizza chain depending on
where you are calling from. Now what happens if you dial into one of
those numbers using 1-881 I don't know... :)

Nick
Fidex