On 17 May 2002, at 15:20, SnowDog wrote:

> > Any idea what Central Escrow Agency Limited is? I find no
> > references to it other than in relation to e-gold, so I don't know
> > if it's a third party or not.
>
> Yes, they are the same group operating the Centrul Fund of Canada, for
> the past 40 years. This is is a gold and silver fund which trades on
> the AMEX, under the symbol CEF. Their website is
> http://www.centralfund.com/ . Last year they performed as E-Gold's
> Escrow Agent, counter-signing when bars of gold were taken out of the
> E-Gold System.

Thanks for the information. I find that reassuring, to the extent that I
needed reassurance (although that is obviously not as much as
some of e-gold's account holders -- part of my comfort level may be
that I don't have a great deal of money in the system).

> > E-Gold does. You either trust/expect them to fulfill their
> > contractual obligations or you don't. If you don't, you shouldn't be
> > dealing with them. If you do, you can still get screwed. Just as you
> > can by the mechanic who tells you that he replaced the fuel pump,
> > etc. This is known as "life." You have recourse to the courts in
> > case of fraud.
>
> It seems to me that you're thinking of E-Gold more as a payment
> system, than as an internet money. As a money, I would expect a higher
> confidence level, than a payment system. I have complete confidence in
> the owners of E-Gold. I have been convinced. However, it's certainly
> understandable that others may not wish to keep a large amount of
> e-gold, without more confidence in the system.

I, too, have been convinced. However, I _do_ think of e-gold as
"money" -- I just think of it as "money" in the same sense that
most people do. Ever since the introduction of fiat currency, people
have generally regarded "money" _as_ a payment system, backed
by nothing more than the "full faith and credit" of a group of liars
jotting down numbers in the ledgers of a central bank that is either
controlled by, or granted a monopoly by, government.

To the extent that e-gold _offers_ itself as a higher standard -- a
real, gold-backed currency -- I suppose that they should be _held_
to a higher standard of verification; but an escrow report is enough
for me to place more "faith and credit" in them than a bureaucrat's
assurance that "yep, our meaningless numbers add up."

The bottom line for me is that I try not to do business with people I
don't trust, at least not more than once (then I _decide_ whether to
trust them or not). I watched e-gold for awhile before putting any of
my assets into it, and I found no reason to believe that they were
engaged in anything but honest enterprise. Since coming on board,
I've used e-gold in various ways, with nary a problem (well, actually
I had a problem with a third party, but it wasn't a trust problem it
was that my previous computer, an old Mac, couldn't seem to work
with BananaGold's Java stuff -- now that I'm on a PC, guess how I'll
be paying for my Amazon purchases?)

I suppose it is _possible_ that some day I'll receive an email from
someone telling me "try to log in! They're gone! They took the
money and moved to Lima!" But I seriously doubt it. I figure I'm
more likely to get stiffed for change on a twenty at the local
department store.

Regards,
Tom Knapp

--
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that
since few men are wise enough to rule themselves,

-- Edward Abbey