From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> In creating U.S. dollars a value in gold was determined and proclaimed
> by law thereby giving dollars some value (say one thirty fifth of an
> ounce of gold, as at one time). A value for a dollar would seem not to
> exist otherwise, it is, after all, just a pretty piece of paper. I know
> things are different now but I've always seen the old "$35 per ounce" as
> setting the value of a dollar, not the value of gold.

Indeed, the dollar was once defined as a certain quantity of gold.

On 31 January, 1934, Franklin Delano Roosevelt changed the definition by
issuing an Executive Order.

In summary:

BEFORE 31-Jan-1934:  One dollar = 23.22 grains gold
AFTER  31-Jan-1934:  One dollar = 13.71 grains gold

I should also include this way of looking at the ratios:

BEFORE 31-Jan-1934:  1 troy oz gold = $20.67
AFTER  31-Jan-1934:  1 troy oz gold = $35.01

I doubt this answers your more subtle questions about price manipulation.
The only point here is that the phrase "Twenty Dollars in Gold" used to mean
a very specific, well-defined quantity of gold.

-- Patrick

P.S.

For conversion purposes:

1 troy ounce = 480 grains