At 08:31 AM 6/16/2002 -0400, Bob wrote:
>Basically it's the 100 largest stocks on the NASDAQ. It recently went
>below it's Sept. '01 lows. This is big big news that I doubt the mass
>media has said anything about. But I don't know. I don't pay too much
>attention to them. When I do, I find it astounding the mindless
>Enquirer human interest type stuff they call news. Whether it's
>ABC, NBC or the front page of the Boston Globe.
>
>http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=qqq&sid=&o_symb=qqq&freq=1&time=8&x=33&y=13
>
>Indirectly bullish for the precious metals.

Yes, but only indirectly. Much of the available funds searching for a new
home have gone either into foreign stocks (mostly Japanese and European) or
real estate.  The irrational exuberance phase should obviously be over, but
the market is still not fully corrected.

If I've learned anything from my own investing its that only a disciplined
approach works to stave off the emotion that can cause one to go off cliffs
with the mob. One of those disciplines is attention to the historic P/E
ratios and what underlies them. Historically the P/Es of well managed
companies were in the mid-teens, now many are almost double. I can think of
no reason for such a differential except continued irrationality on the
part of un-savvy investors.

More troubling still is the asset base of these high flyers. Until the '90s
most company assets were 'hard' and tangible", with IP and goodwill making
up only 20 or so percent. Now many company balance sheets contain 50% or
more intangible assets. As we have seen goodwill can evaporate in a
heartbeat hollowing out the balance sheets of these companies. Too rich and
risky for my blood.

Of course  Wall Street's accounting practices are no where near as big a
scam as the gov't's own off sheet account practices.

A big time bomb may be brewing over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Both have
used account sleight of hand to mask the quality of their assets and risk
management techniques. Currently they are shield from SEC enquiry. If they
come under real scrutiny then watch out economy.

steve