Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:38:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ian Grigg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Monday 29 July 2002 01:31, PlanetGold wrote:
> http://planetgold.com

One thing here made me think.

    planetgold: Why are you so secretive about the
    physical metals you manage?

    James: The reason we are over-protective and
    do not list the serial numbers (and/or locations)
    of the bars in the E-Bullion reserve is because
    that would expose the bars themselves to frivolous
    lawsuits. If someone knows the serial number of
    the bar and where it is located they can file
    frivolous motion(s) and attempt to put liens
    against one or more of the specific bars.

Mr Fayed is balancing the risk of frivolous actions on
the individual bars against the risk of the gold not being
there, due to insider fraud.

Is there merit in this approach?  On the surface, there is,
we have already seen a number of lawsuits in this evolving
industry.  And of course, we can find critics who claim
frivolity for all of them.

(Goldmoney actually attempts to avert this by disclaiming
liens in its agreement.  Somehow, I don't think that clause
compelling, but, IANAL, and at least they have thought
about the issue.)

The counter argument is persuasive.  Frivolous lawsuits
are:

   a) frivolous, and any judge would see the reason in
      limiting the damage to something that did not destroy
      the business in the process.  That is, a reasoned
      application in response should redress that danger,

   b) frivolous, and they will be filed anywway.  The
      Plaintiffs will pick another target or another way.

So, one would think that the cost from such would be
mitigated by careful attention to the account agreement
and other contracts.  And then dealing with it when it
happens.

What then is the risk of the gold not being there?

Recent events give us an answer:  2 out of 6 (?)
systems are alleged to have collapsed with incomplete
or totally lost client assets.  (Like Mr Fayed, I'll wait
until the full facts are in place before saying too much,
but I share his sense of concern.)

In both cases they did not fully reveal or audit their
balance sheets.  Thus, whilst the customers were
led to believe, the insiders were led to reallocate.

This is a serious and present danger to all account
holders.  Without getting into details, it would appear
that publishing holdings in a detailed manner, including
locations and serial numbers, would go a long way
towards reducing the freedom of insiders to defraud.

I would cast my vote against the secrecy of the bars
(if I had a vote, that is, as I have no metal stored in
e-Bullion).  Even with the presence of frivolous
litigation, the danger of insider fraud has to be the
number one risk that Issuers and their users lose
sleep over.

--
iang