Dear Friends,

Everyone who wishes to discuss this matter with me further
should e-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], the only way to
be sure I read their message.

David Hillary points out:

> I just bought a gram of e-gold on the Laissez Faire
> Electronic Stock Exchange (LESE). Paid USD 9.9 which
> is about 1% above spot, which would have to be my
> cheapest gram of e-gold ever.

That's an interesting situation.  I was not aware that
e-gold was being traded on LESE.

A friend, business associate, and client has been examining
DMT/ALTA/LESE for several weeks.

> Nonetheless, for small values, e-gold may be the cheapest
> way to fund Asset Lodgement Trust Accounts (ALTA accounts).
> And for large values, ALTA may be the cheapest way to get
> e-gold.

Given that e-gold has a record of cooperating on fedgov
subpoenas, and given that other e-currencies backed by
gold are operated from offshore jurisdictions (e.g.,
GoldMoney in Jersey) I am surprised to learn of e-gold
as a means to fund ALTA accounts.  I would have expected
Orlin to have more sense than that.

> Who will be the first exchange provider trading gold on
> the LESE?

I've reviewed this process, at close secondhand.  As far as
I can see, my client who has purchased some gold using
his DMT/ALTA/LESE account does not have any idea who owns
the actual gold, in what form, or in what location.  I am
not willing to buy gold for customers if I cannot tell
them who owns the actual gold and where that gold is held.

Nor am I entirely happy with the references I've obtained
on Mr. Orlin Grabbe.  His dedication to anonymity is great.
His sophisticated knowledge of financial markets, notably
gold, is obvious from his numerous writings, available on
his web site.  There seems to be widespread agreement that
Orlin is one of the few people with the knowledge of both
crypto and finance to put together a truly anonymous system
such as DMT/ALTA/LESE offers.

At the same time, there is a "trust me" factor implicit in
his system.  I get mixed reviews from people who say that
Orlin is a great guy because not all of them would trust
him with their money.  And, of course, there are those who
say that Orlin is not such a great guy.

The reason I like GoldMoney.com, e-gold.com, e-Bullion.com,
Crowne-Gold.com, FastGrams.com, and NORFED.org better than
I like Orlin and his DMT/ALTA/LESE system is the following:

1. In each of the other cases, I know where the gold is.

2. In each of the other cases, save one, I've met the
principals involved.

3. In each of the other cases, I've done business with the
principals and had good results.

I'm extremely reluctant to risk any of my customers' money
without meeting all three of these requirements, at least.
>From what I've been given to understand, Orlin doesn't care
at all what any prospective customer wants.  He is offering
his system "as is."

Given his attitude, which he has conveyed in e-mails to my
friends, and given the way his system works at present, I
don't care to trust him with any of my money.  I cannot ask
my company to trust him with any of our customers' money.
I suspect that Orlin doesn't care; the feeling is mutual.

> I'm still waiting for my in-exchange and out-exchanges of
> e-gold to DMT e-gold and back to be processed and hope they
> introduce SCI and instant exchanges soon.

That's also not exactly encouraging.  I'm sure that I have
many customers who would be delighted to buy e-gold for 1%.
I am not encouraged that you have not had your exchanges
fulfilled.  It isn't difficult to set up the SCI and it is
also not difficult to manually complete exchanges.  Cambist.net
does both very often.

Please keep the list updated on progress.  If your exchanges
are not fulfilled within a week, I'm sure you should complain.

If (and only if) LESE proves to be a useful market for the
acquisition of e-gold, with exchanges fulfilled to our
accounts in a timely fashion, Gold Barter Holdings may
participate on a limited basis.  Otherwise, I quite frankly
don't think it worth our time.

OSGold, among others, had these problems:

1. Their claims were unbelievable.
2. We didn't know where the gold was.
3. The principals were unknown to us.
4. We had no recourse to the principals nor to the gold.

In the end, tens of thousands of users were out a total
of perhaps tens of millions of dollars of value.  I've
seen no progress by anyone on recovering value from OSGold.

I don't yet see how DMT/ALTA/LESE is much different.  It
seems to be much more sophisticated, much more technically
clever, and much more interesting to people who I've known
and trusted for years.  None of which means that it is a
scam; none of which satisfies me that it isn't.

Yes, I'm picky.

Regards,

Jim
http://cambist.net/