>Hi Jonathan,
>
>I don't get the difference between a debit card and a credit card
>with a zero credit limit?

Ian, it's a free world!  People don't have to give reasons!

The fact is, (to make one example) many major car rental companies in
the USA will rent to you with a credit card, but NOT with a debit
card.

If you think this bit of trivia is made up, and not factual, I'll pay
for you to fly to the states to a few major cities andtry to rent a
few cars (just joking!)

Who knows WHAT reason Budget, Enterprise etc. adopt this policy for?
(Who really cares?  it's their life and they can run their businesses
any way they want.  They can say "we only rent green cars" or "we
will not rent to people under 25" [common] or "we don't take visa,
only mastercard!" - or whatever the heck they want.)

I *think* the rationale behind it is that with credit cards, there is
more contactable info available to track down people who steal cars.
Again, I *think* that's the "reason" behind the decision, but who
knows (or cares, it's their life!  Mr. Enterprise can run his
business anyway he likes.)

Merchant processing systems can tell the difference between a credit
card and a debit card, and if a merchant chooses to take only one or
the other [some merchants will only take DEBIT cards, because they're
slightly harder to charge-back] .. that's the merchant's choice!

The very simple solution to this (if you have no credit or live in a
war zone or something) is just to get a secured credit card, just
leave $3000 or something with a bank and they'll give you a visa card
with a $3000 limit.

That's the easy solution!!
Ian rocks!