Rachel Willmer wrote:
> come to think of it, didn't a German, Konrad Zuse, invent the first
> binary computer, the Z1, in Berlin in 1936...

Perhaps, but

a. We're drifting WAAAY off-topic here, and
b. http://www.coe.unco.edu/DonnaFerguson/ETHistory/TESLA.HTM

an excerpt:

        Inventors of the modern computer have repeatedly
        been surprised, when seeking patents, to encounter
        Tesla's basic ones already on file, noted Tesla
        historian Leland Anderson. Indeed, two of Tesla's
        patents from 1903 contain the basic principles of
        the logical and circuit element.

Nikola Tesla (despite how Hoover's FBI treated him) was the
greatest inventor of all time, bar none. Whether or not you
know it, his brilliant advances touch our lives every day,
and unfortunately he died in poverty (but let's talk about
MONEY!!!)
JMR