Steve Schear wrote:

> You may be confusing the bit strength of symmetric (e.g., private key -
> DES and AES) and asymmetric (e.g., pubic key - RSA) encryption. ...

For more on this subject, see C. Matthew Curtin's Snake Oil FAQ.

http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/snake-oil-faq.html

which is still relevant, even though it hasn't been updated in
a while.

Also, I really love JP (and all of you) but this is a family-
friendly list, so if we could all try to keep 4-letter words
to an absolute minimum that would be nice...Thanks to all for
participating.
JMR