Perhaps there is merit in the idea of a DGC implementing the DNS-style idea,
which I'd prefer to call an Account Alias. In every DGCs database, an
account has a unique identifier, be it all numbers, a letter and some
numbers or whatever. The point is it's unique. Thing is that account numbers
aren't easy to remember on the most part unless they are your account
numbers or ones you use all the time - same as phone numbers. We all (except
me!) know our own phone number, but who knows the number of the store we
shop at every week, the restaurant we ate at last week. We know the names of
these places, and that information lets us call the store or restaurant
because there is a place where the location is mapped to a number - a phone
book.

Take that idea, and consider how by the addition of a new database table, a
DGC could store a list of aliases for accounts. An account might always be
123456 in the appropriate account table, but one or more aliases could be
mapped to it in the alias table. Bryan -> 123456, Professional Hacker
Services -> 123456, ballerdice -> 123456. Wherever account numbers are
normally accepted, changes would need to be made to allow for the entry of
an alias obviously.

The issue then would be unique aliases. We've all tried to signup for things
where we were asked to specify a username, and found all you could have was
bryan67893! First in, best dressed on that front. Some of us have also tried
to get names like admin, root, system, etc. A DGC would need to decide
firstly what names are reserved. What is reserved would be a business
decision specific to the DGS in question. Another issue (I am thinking of
new ideas as I go along) would be if an alias either expired, or was
cancelled, and another person snapped it up - just like domain names - how
you deal with that is another issue. Ditto on snapping up names before other
people. I might come along and snap up Gaithmans before Eric does, and then
go around convincing people I am an exchange agent. More issues to deal
with.

Perhaps an alias would be more like an Australian domain name, where you
can't get a .com.au domain name unless you have a business with the same
name or an acceptable variant, or if it's your name. For a cost (since an
employee would have to do due diligence, and people cost money) a person or
company might file an application for an alias, and that way you can
minimize all the similar kinds of issues that the US has to cope with when
it comes to domain registration.

Comments?

BRYAN