On 1 Dec 2002, at 0:16, Vebjorn Ljosa wrote:

> Could you please point me to books or web pages where I can read
> more about these laws?

As I recall I just looked them up in the US Code.

Craig (SnowDog) wrote:

>I don't think those laws exist anymore. I spent about 15 minutes
>looking through the US Code -- Title 31 is the relevent section --
>and could not find any reference.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/

Perhaps.  Altho they were still in the books 35 years ago and I
don't know of any legislation that would have removed them in
the intervening time.

Thanks for the useful link to the code.  A little looking shows
that these items are still there.

>TITLE 18 , PART I , CHAPTER 25 , Sec. 486.
>Sec. 486. - Uttering coins of gold, silver or other metal
>Whoever, except as authorized by law, makes or utters or passes,
>or attempts to utter or pass, any coins of gold or silver or other
>metal, or alloys of metals, intended for use as current money,
>whether in the resemblance of coins of the United States or of
>foreign countries, or of original design, shall be fined under
>this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

On the circulation tax, David Hillary seems to have been closer
to right than my poor memory.

>TITLE 12 , CHAPTER 4 , SUBCHAPTER II , Sec. 541.
>Sec. 541. - Tax on circulating notes generally
>In lieu of all existing taxes, every association shall pay to
>the Treasurer of the United States, in the months of January
>and July, a duty of one-half of 1 per centum each half year
>upon the average amount of its notes in circulation

This may not be what I remembered.  It derives from the National
Banking act of 1864.

>Sec. 38. - The National Bank Act
>The Act entitled ''An Act to provide a national currency secured by
>a pledge of United States bonds, and to provide for the circulation
>and redemption thereof,'' approved June 3, 1864, shall be known as
>''The National Bank Act.'

It might be interesting to feret out the circulation tax in its
orginal Civil War form.  But I'm not going to do it!

Best,

CCS

-      Virtual Phonecards - Instant Pin by Email      -
-            Large Selection - Great Rates            -
-  http://speedypin.com/phonecard/start.mhtml?af=743  -