Hi Patrick,

I've never dealt with Western Union so I don't know, but rather than waiting for photo ID, if you cannot verify that the payer is the one intending to receive e-gold for the payment made, is there a way to reverse the Western Union payment back to the payer, or simply to do as much of a refund as possible? [I've just come back to re-editing this message, and since I originally drafted this paragraph, you have indicated that you would do this, but Geronia Bowman's responses seem to indicate that she (or he) will not get her money back this way.)

This way Western Union should be aware that neither you nor the e-gold community in general is trying to rip off a little old lady or whatever, nor acting fraudulently in any way. Additionally, whether or not there is a Geronia Bowman, or whether the address and phone number is fake should not matter, because the original payer should be able to receive cash back in exchange for the original payment receipt.

This (reversal) seems like an action of last resort, because conceivably the payer might have lost the receipt and it seems a bad idea to expand the coffers of Western Union for no good reason. If this not possible what will you do with the money considering the possibility that the actual payer may have simply invented a name and address for the convenience of anonymity? Either they are the proceeds of some kind of fraudulent activity (on the customer's part) or they are funds that should have every effort made to be exchanged for that which they were sent to you in the first place, or at least returned to sender.

Although it can be established that the entity with whom you have been dealing has used various names to obscure identity, I do not think that we have established fraud beyond reasonable doubt, and the principle of a presumption of innocence surely by rights extends to individuals conducting business, not only to the State criminal justice system.

Although most of us have a high opinion of our peers in this list, somehow I think that it is objectionable to contemplate exchange providers collecting various people's personal, private and confidential identification documents, which could be put to malicious use if such thoughts were to entertain their minds. Furthermore, as Latiko bank has done to Graham, so might an unscrupulous exchange provider do to any customer.

I support the effort to ensure that SOMEONE is not defrauded, but let us not trample the rights of WHOEVER if SOMEONE has not been so defrauded.

Ian Green
http://iangreen.2cw.org/
http://ao.com.au/e-gold.htm