At 01:53 AM 12/10/2002 -0500, chris hogan wrote:
I want to make one thing CRYSTAL CLEAR...we do not SPAM ANYONE, we hired a
reputable opt in mailing list company, iomegaone.com to do a mailing for
us, obvouisly some people  might have forgotten subscribing to one Of
their opt-in list at sometime in the past ..we do not spam ..it just is
not good business, and it is also not good busniess to publicly defame our
company in this or any forum by accusing us of spamming less you find your
butt in court with a defamamation, slander and liable suit shoved squarely
up your butt ...so in short dont accuse someone of something unless you
are ready to back it up with litigation, I know we will..
That's what's known as an oxymoron - "reputable" and "opt in mailing list company." There is no such thing! They use e-mail harvesting programs and obtain names from websites and from discussion list archives where the owner doesn't alter e-addresses. You can buy a harvesting program for under $100 and obtain all the "opt-in" names you want. Except the folks don't realize they signed up for your news, er, they "forgot that they signed up to your opt-in list in the past."

If you don't believe me, setup one of those free accounts and post it on your website. Then sit back and wait. Trust me. I subscribe to ~~100 discussion lists and can see where the spam comes from.

Double opt-in lists are supposed to be better. It means you subscribed, received a notice to which you replied. The problem is THE MAILING HOUSE DOESN'T HAVE RECORDS OF DOUBLE OPT-IN!

Can't comment on iomegaone.com other than they obviously live in a mail box (PMB address). CAUCE (Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email) doesn't have them listed as one of the four legitimate opt-in houses http://www.cauce.org/about/resources.shtml#opt-in And I don't subscribe to MAPS, so I don't know if they are listed there.

There are blacklists of spammers. The most familiar name is http://mail-abuse.org/ Mail Abuse Prevention System to which many ISPs subscribe. However, they are experiencing some problems especially after the suit against AOL and others by Harris Interactive who claims they had permission to poll folks (I never signed up for their polling service).

BTW, I use Spam Assassin and your message was caught by this program. Which means it has the markings of spam.

FWIW

George

George Matyjewicz, Chief Global Strategist
GAP Enterprises, Ltd. http://www.gapent.com/
Book Author and Doctoral Candidate in Training
Moderator of E-Tailer's Digest http://www.etailersdigest.com/
Automated Press Releases http://www.automatedpr.com/
Board Member AIB #34 http://www.aib-world.org/

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.