--
On 16 Dec 2002 at 10:08, James M. Ray wrote:
> That's it. ALL messages to this list will be moderated, hard,
> by me from now on, until I'm not annoyed anymore. I may,
> slowly, unmoderate individual members, but I'm tired of my
> control being circumvented, I'm the boss of this list, and I
> have tried to "rule" with a velvet glove. It's time for the
> iron fist.

Moderation is difficult to do right.   Suppose you bounce
someone's message for some good reason, but a reason he finds
surprising and unexpected, thereby wasting the time he has put
into composing the message over a matter that seems trivial to
him.  You then find yourself drawn into time wasting disputes
between members.

If done badly, people rightly get upset "Hey you bounced my
message for X, but you let through so and so's message which
was a vastly worse example of X"

If done well, takes a lot of time and energy.

Moderation can easily turn into censorship, as when all mention
of bad conduct by the commercial interest sponsoring the
mailing list is suppressed.  When it does not turn into
censorship, ordinary errors in moderation unavoidably create
the appearance of censorship.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     p9yxrmqtu516WxgJ/Mb/ymkuTZWh1LdnYIUNlOdg
     4dI9bCRxRJnIGRu0Yc7WrTsqSWK1I1OwvVNGjaRUx