At 9:09 AM -0800 12/16/02, James A. Donald wrote:
>Moderation is difficult to do right.

Don't I know it. I don't plan to be perfect (in fact, I struggle
to cultivate a reputation for ruthless UN-fairness, since that
is easier to defend than trying to be fair, even though I do
actually try to be fair, believe it or not, since believe it or not
I'm against censorship). This isn't censorship, it's property-
rights. [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a scammer
who DOES NOT OWN this list or my email address. I have
merely asserted ownership. Forcefully.

>Moderation can easily turn into censorship, as when all mention
>of bad conduct by the commercial interest sponsoring the
>mailing list is suppressed.  When it does not turn into
>censorship, ordinary errors in moderation unavoidably create
>the appearance of censorship.

I've moderated this list (admittedly with a lighter hand than
today) for years, and I'm very sensitive to trying to let critics
of e-gold through, even if I think the criticism is bogus. I am
sure I'm not perfect at this, though. The problem is that the
obvious security-hole in Lyris prevents us from having any
discussion, IMO. I don't think people (not just me) should
have to tolerate idiots stealing their identities because they
can't post specifics in their messages and do not want to
follow my rules. As I've said, unmoderated fora exist. Use
them! Here, we'll talk under our own names, specifically,
about money -- especially the kind sent over the 'net. I'm
going to look into Lyris-fixes, but for now I don't mind this.

I've thought about picking up this shotgun before, and I
have been reluctant for the reasons you stated, but I think
my hand has been forced. The rest of you will suffer a bit,
please CC [EMAIL PROTECTED] in private
messages to  me regarding my moderation decisions, he
might as well see some annoying volumes of email too...
JMR