Hi, my name's Patrick, I'm responsible for the Lucrative project.

The original question here, the one in the title, and perhaps the most
interesting one, is "Why _anonymous_ digital bearer instruments?"

This is a good question. Let's put aside the related question "Why digital
bearer instruments?" for now and answer the anonymity question.

First, there is the basic idea of anonymity. Many people don't seem to
care about anonymity, but I view it as a basic 'right', and an important
one. Anonymous cash transactions have a tremendously long history, but I
won't attempt to summarize it here.

Second, and this is the more interesting from my perspective, is that
anonymous digital transactions are truly non-repudiable, unlike book-entry
systems. Transactions that can't be repudiated have obvious value, but
I'll leave it to others to enumerate the many ways.

Why is an anonymous digital bearer instrument non-repudiable and arguably
anything else isn't? It's a matter of policy versus reality. Compare it to
an in-person transaction at a store. I walk up to the counter, present
funds, and request cigarettes (or whatever). The cashier examines the
funds, and if acceptable, receives them and presents the cigarettes. I
leave the store.

I have the cigarettes; the store can't 'deactivate' them or take them away
except by brute force. The store has my funds; I can't 'deactivate' them
or take them away, except by brute force. Neither can a third party do
either except by force.

Anonymous digital bearer instruments are essentially cash for this
purpose. They clear immediately, and the sender cannot repudiate the
transaction later because the funds are no longer under his control. In
fact, the specific funds are not under the issuer's control either. The
issuer cannot single out the DBIs held by the recipient and revoke them
because it cannot identify them.

Scenario: Alice wishes to purchase a 3D graphics model from Bob. She
reviews thumbnails on Bob's web site, picks one, and puts it in her
shopping cart. She 'checks out' by pasting in an ASCII-armored digital
bearer instrument. Bob's SCI then automatically redeems the DBI for a
fresh, new one at the issuer. At this point the payment has cleared: Bob
has the funds and Alice does not, even if Alice retained a copy of the
original instrument. Bob's website then delivers the 3D model files to
Alice.

Later, Alice decides that she wants to stiff Bob. But what are her
options? She cannot repudiate the payment herself, and she cannot ask the
issuer to do so either. The issuer is unable to distinguish Bob's
instrument from any other in that series (which may be quite large). To
disavow that instrument it would have to disavow the entire series, and
probably lose most if not all of its customers overnight.

This is the difference between non-repudiation in theory and in practise.
One more example.

On February 1st, 2003, Crowne Gold updated its computer systems. After a
short period, it became clear that something terrible had happened to at
least some of the payments made in that system in the hours before the
switch between the old and the new software. That is, some transactions
entirely disappeared as if they had never happened. This happened to a
company I work with to the tune of five grams of gold. Someone had sent 5g
to them and they accepted it as a non-repudiatable transaction. After all,
Crowne Gold said so. It was their policy.

Lo and behold, after the upgrade, they did not have the funds anymore or
any record of the funds in their Crowne Gold account. Crowne Gold support,
responding to an inquiry after four days, said basically this: "your
problem". That's right, this company acting in good faith was supposed to
politely ask the person who sent that gold to do so again. At, of course,
their option.

An anonymous digital bearer instrument system would have prevented such a
problem from affecting them as an instrument holder. Such problems become,
as they should, the issuer's, and the liability is theirs.

Sincerely,

Patrick