> >Say I have some Lucrative, value 1550 units.
> >
> >Do I sort of gve you the 1550 and you give me a new one, change, or
can i
> >"split up" my 1550 one into smaller, uh, sections?
>
> I think Patrick has adopted the method used by Digicash: binary value
> coins
> (1,2,4,8,16...).  Not very intuitive for most people but it allows
simpler
> optimization for change in your purse.  Keeping correct change and
getting
> it when needed will, by default, be handled automatically for the
user.

> In your example 1550 units could be held in your purse as 1024 + 512 +
8 +
> 4 + 2.  I'm not sure how he intends to handle fractional amounts but
it
> could certainly be done using binary decimals.

Lucrative DBIs are composed of digital coins of preset value: each coin
belongs to a series with a predetermined value per coin. A set of series
related by asset, unit, and issuer but with varying amounts allows for
the easy creation of change. For example, a mint operator might setup
coin series like this:

Issued by | Asset | Unit | Amount

f-gold    | gold  | gram | 1000.0
f-gold    | gold  | gram | 100.0
f-gold    | gold  | gram | 10.0
f-gold    | gold  | gram | 1.0
f-gold    | gold  | gram | 0.1
f-gold    | gold  | gram | 0.01

With a decimal system like this it's easy for humans to see the minimal
number of coins necessary: 1550 grams of gold would be 1 x 1000, 5 x
100, 5 x 10.

However, since you're likely to want to make spends like "20.5", your
digital wallet will probably contain many more coins than minimally
necessary, maybe something like this: 15 x 100, 3 x 10, 10 x 1, and a
bunch of 0.1 and 0.01 left over. As Steve notes, the client can be
expected to handle most of the details for the user.

Lucrative is technically agnostic to the coin division system. A mint
operator can use decimal, hex, binary, or any combination of those or an
arbitrary system like 1, 5, 25, 50, 100. The Purse uses an iterative
modulus to make change.

A digital coin can't be "split" into smaller-value pieces by a user, but
the Mint can provide exchange services (and this is implemented in
Lucrative).

Patrick