> Yes, and unfortunately in my post I emphasized the credit aspect of the
> system but failed to discuss the repudiation aspect.  They might even
> be orthogonal issues, though I don't see how an issuer could make any
> money with a repudiable payment system that did NOT involve credit.  It
> seems like you would need the ability to collect interest charges.
>
> But just looking at repudiation, the issuer is faced with the following
> two risks:
>
> 1.  Customer pays for merchandise and then claims that he didn't
> receive it.
>
> 2.  Customer claims that he did not authorize a particular payment and
> demands a refund.

That's not the way I would implement it.

All you need is a regular e-gold account where the paid amounts will stay until the
chargeback period expires, or the buyer orders a chargeback.
Of course you need a database program to keep track of everything.
If the chargeback period expires without complaints, the e-gold sitting in the
system account is paid out to the merchant (minus the fees charged for the
repudiable e-gold service of course) and actually becomes simple non repudiable
e-gold at that moment.

For example Merchant offers a book for sale on his site, and you can pay with
repudiable e-gold with a chargeback period of 15 days (merchant can choose the
period), you can also pay with non repudiable e-gold at a slightly lower price.

Customer, who has an ordinary e-gold account, decides to buy this book, but because
he doesn't know the company he decides to pay a little extra and use the repudiable
option to make sure he is not running into a scam.
He spends the amount of e-gold into the repudiable system e-gold account (the
software will keep track of amount paid , chargeback period, customers e-gold
account number, and the merchant's name and e-gold account, etc...), and the
merchant is notified of this order.
Now either no chargeback is done during the 15 days period. In that case the e-gold
is spent from the system account into the merchatns e-gold account.
Or the customers does a chargeback. In that case the e-gold is spend from the system
account back into the customers e-gold account.

As you can see there is no need for credit anywhere in the system.
Money is made by an extra fee charged on the transaction.
Case 2 you mention won't happen because the customer initiates an e-gold payment
into the system account himself.
Case 1 is exactly the same as the creditcard fraud we know already.
Usually the merchant will calculate the cost of this creditcard fraud into his
prices, and that's why we are paying up for the cheaters when we are using
repudiable payment.
But hey, if you don't like that, you can choose non repudiable and pay less but bear
the risks.
It's totally fair.

The creator of such repudiable e-gold system can decide whether he wants to offer a
customer dispute service or not.
The competition (creditcards) doesn't offer much in this regard either, chargebacks
are granted without proof of nondelivery given by the buyer.

Regards,

Danny