Interesting stuff. Looks like the Fed found the perpetuum mobile or the
golden bullet solution to American public debt.
If foreign institutional investors won't buy future bond issues, don't
dispair, we'll print some more and buy them ourselves. If there is a large
scale run out of bonds, no problem, well print some more and buy them all.
Keep doing it until the USD is worth EURo 0.20 and then pay off the whole
public debt at 20 cents in the dollar.

Sounds communist if you ask me. And, it didn't work there either. The
problem with a system in which the local currency is artificially kept
high on domestic markets while being traded at a much lower rate
internationally is that you end up nevr having enough foreign currency
reserves and are stuck in a never ending downwards spiral.

Now, before anyone trashes me and informs me that nothing like that is
even remotely suggested in the article and could never happen in the US
anyway because the USD is the world reserve currency, etc., etc., let me
say this: the mere fact that the Fed is doing what it's doing clearly
shows just how desperate the situation is.
And maybe my scenario is already less unbelievable if you consider that
recently liberated iraqis have bid up their old dinar against the USD
despite the fact that they can't buy a thing with it in Kuwait, Syria or
Jordan. By the same token, they wouldn't get too much for a USD in Iran
nowadays either, where the EURo seems to be replacing it as the black
market standard of choice.
Heck, even Eastern Europeans are starting to prefer the EURo over the USD.

All this would have been unimaginable less than three years ago...

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting
http://www.cyberica.net