At 6:39 AM -0400 6/26/03, Robert S.Z. wrote:
>Hello JM,
>Sorry but you do seem to be missing my point. Where is the benefit for our
>little economy in 100,000 new accounts with an average balance of 0.05gg ?

Lots of people all over the world are reading email for pay, and they
are slowly getting paid, and then converting their grams to whatever
fiat currency is local. This benefits them and the exchanges that are
smart/prescient enough to locate them & please them consistently.

>Unless they all buy books - and quick - there is no circulation.

There's PLENTY of circulation (and velocity! See stats!!). I think YOU
are missing Reid's point. Find a currency that does what you wish in
the real world. You can't. Why? Because it's rational for independent
exchanges to charge a spread *BOTH* ways. This has been true for
thousands of years -- chances are the ones Jesus kicked out of the
temple were charging a spread both ways! e-gold used to be sold at
spot-plus, and in the beginning this made sense to "jump start" its
circulation, but now it makes sense for exchanges to behave exactly
as they've behaved for eons, because people now know: e-gold is
better money(tm). I was initially against this change in the spreads,
but Reid has convinced me that it was the right thing to do.
JMR