At 4:43 PM +0300 6/28/03, FileMatrix wrote:

>By the way, thinking to the future of E-gold, if you (E-gold) want to become
>a universal "money" system, you will need to have, at some point, an egold
>*debit* card. It doesn't matter if it's a separate business (like OmniPay),

Oh yes it does. e-gold has/had/will-have 0 (no, zero) bank accounts.
A plastic card relies on banks. Therefore, "separate business ONLY,"
and a separate business you're welcome to start now, BTW.

>but should definitely bear the stamp of GSR. This card should be used only
>in the "real" life (outside Internet), so the egold accounts must have
>special attributes that define their use. If interested in details, I can
>give more.

Well, unless it's denominated in grams, it's not gonna be e-gold... All
of the plastic cards I've seen are denominated in dollars, which aren't
grams, so I'm interested specifically in how you would do this and get
merchants to accept e-gold grams on plastic.

>James wrote "They produce no value FOR YOU"
>
>No, they produce no value for the economy (E-gold's or the real one's)

??!!!??? Nope, FOR YOU!! I was/am right! http://stats.e-gold.com once
again tells the story...I come from the time of single-digit spends, so all
this hand-wringing is a bit amusing, frankly. Stats is rockin', let's all just
be happy and deal with it!

>because the readers are not willing to spend. Who do you call professional:

?? They spend gold once they get it!! They merely choose not to
spend any of it TO YOU! (This isn't e-gold's problem....) The get
paid to read email folks can be quite professional, so I'd say let's
call both businesses "professional."

>a site that offers a few cents for an email, or www.postmasterdirect.com?

Either one's fine with me. One does double-opt-in (good!!) and another
does "pay consumers individually"! As a consumer I prefer getting e-gold,
but as a spam-ee I appreciate the double opt-in of the other, because I
choose not to opt-in unless they're willing to pay me, and they aren't
paying individuals yet, because they have yet to figure-out e-gold! You
might even be able to help them with this, if you're their customer.

>Which of these parties generate more value for both sides (advertisers and
>readers). Who would you use to advertise with?

Apples and oranges. The market says they're both a success. I don't
think either one would be effective advertising for a new currency. The
ONLY way to do this thing right is word of mouth -- and I've seen very-
smart people spend thirty minutes talking about e-gold, and STILL not
understand it...The idea that an opt-in email could out-do conversation
would be absurd -- and trying to sell the idea of e-gold to people who
already have an account isn't exactly the most efficient way to spend
(nonexistent, hypothetical) ad-money!
JMR