Why do currencies such as the Euro, Yen and Dollar move so greatly in
relative value?

The article claims that the fact that they do move +-35% in a period of a
few years is inefficient but only hits at the possible cause:
'Under fixed rates, the central bank of a small nation devotes monetary
policy to targeting the exchange rate with a larger neighbor; this is a
policy. But a "float" simply takes away the anchor; for a policy you need
another target--historically the price of gold, more recently some measure
of the domestic inflation rate.'

The policy target of the domestic consumer price level is flawed. The prices
of consumer goods are just that: goods consisting of both tradables and
non-tradables, and assume that consumers spend their entire lives in a
single geographic location and market, and hence are stuck with
non-tradables prices. The reality is of course that non-tradables are partly
local factor prices (land rent, and wages) and production conditions
(institutions, technologies) and partly goods whose values are found on
international markets.

The policy target should be changed to tradable goods. This would lead to
similar targeting by multiple central banks and therefore more stable
exchange rates.

But what does determine the value of a currency? I am not sure really the
answer to this, but it can be no more than the asset backing of the currency
issuer. From this point it can be seen that central banks ought to hold
assets that reflect the stability they desire from their own currencies.
I.e. central banks should hold assets denominated in currencies that give
weighted exposure to currencies used to price sources of tradable goods. For
example if the US economy, and economies with fixed exchange rates to the
USD produce 35% of global output, Euro 30% and Yen 25%, then all three
central banks ought to have assets denominated  in similar proportions to
these weightings.

An alternative is for central banks to hold a common reserve asset
denomination such as gold. This would, of course lead to both stability in
currency value in terms of both gold and other currencies.

Implimentation of monetary policy can be changed from interest rates to
exchange rates as follows:
Each central bank determines the value of its own currency. When the market
value of its currency falls below this amount, the central bank steps in and
buys its own currency back at a discount to its value and makes a profit,
improving its balance sheet and asset backing per unit of currency. When a
currency trades at above its assessed value the central bank sells its
currency for a premium and enhances its asset backing per unit of currency.
A central bank that therefore accurately assesses the value of its currency
and trades accordingly will therefore be profitable, while irrational
central banks will wither. The interest rate differential between two
currencies is the expected depreciation of one with respect to the other and
becomes the benchmark for currency reputation.

An alternative is for private gold currencies to arise as a significant
private substitute money, and this will lead to central banks being priced
against gold on a defacto basis, both for exchange rate and interest rate.
Central banks respond by holding gold denominated assets and stabilising
their exchange rates with respect to gold. This leads to interest rate
convergence and ultimately to the global gold standard.

David Hillary