And who pays for the cell phone calls?

I do like the general idea, but I think a different system would need to
be devised. For one, most phones don't work on CDMA and in most foreign
countries CDMA phones would be useless anyway.
Europe is shifting from GSM to GRPS, most Asian countries are gearing up
for 3G and Japan is looking at testing 4G in field trials early next year,
as does Korea.

So, maybe the better way to go would be to have the whole tansaction take
place over the internet instead.
Meaning, e-gold makes a deal with a telco.
You send an SMS with your and the merchant's e-gold account number and the
amount. The system replies with a provisional batch numer to which you add
a passcode and reply.
The system will then credit the merchant's account and SMS him that the
transaction went through. Total cost of transaction: about $0.75 and
internationally workable, independent from syytems, cell phones, telco
generations, chip cards, etc.

And nobody has to buy any software. A single patch with a passcode
generator can be sent once again - through SMS.

Less fancy, but way easier, and more likely to find wide-spread adoption
if you ask me...

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting
http://www.cyberica.net
budget & privacy domain registrations + mail
http://www.u2planet.com/cfdomaintrust.html