> > But what happens in an unregulated environment when
> > the unregulated non-regulators pass away?
>
> The answer is "we don't know."  The solution is to
> keep applying the Davidson reputation test.

The problem with this Davidson test is that it only says something about the
past trustworthiness of the past management.
It gives no any guarantee for tomorrow.
By the time your test starts ringing bells it will probably be too late to
get out, because this is a very illiquid stock with only 400 shares trading.
The moment some clear warning sign would appear, you will see lots of sell
orders but no takers, and there is also no market maker here.

The stock market (self) regulation is just an attempt to guarantee
reasonable honest management in the future.
It is not fool proof for sure, but it works better than nothing.
But what do you want? Even more regulation to make it fool proof?

btw,the CEO of Worldcom just landed behind bars for a 7 year sentence or
something.

The books of Enron showed clear cut 'gymnastics' to keep the thing in
balance, more than a year before the collapse.
Plenty of 'make-up'...
But if people negate such things, they needn't blame Wall Street.

Would public investors have fared better if Enron shares had been 'TGC
style'?
Definitely not.

Danny