Actually I assumed the joker was aware of how common the name Ng is, and
was simply making a poor joke along the lines of:

First guy: "Every day a man is robbed at an ATM!"
Second guy: "Really? That guy must be getting really sick of it!"

I say it is a poor joke, because in context it is potentially racist,
suggesting that Vietnamese refugees and other Asians are continually in
the news as responsible for much of our crime although they are in
reality only a small percentage of Australia's population, but a larger
percentage of the population of some crime-ridden suburbs of Sydney and
possibly Melbourne - although one seems to hear less of this in Victoria
than of Sydney. Maybe local (Melbourne) media like to portray big, bad
Sydney as being the centre of all crime?

Anyway, despite the undoubted existence of Asian crime syndicates, I
think it is being a bit unfair and prejudicial to Asians to make such a
statement. So I will (interpret | consider) it (or deem it to be) as a
poor, but innocent joke to maintain the joker's integrity in my mind. On
the other hand, he is free to his own opinion and preference even if it
might be racist.

Regards,
Ian Green