I don't have an English link, but in Asia, especially South korea and to a
lesser extent in Japan, the production and trading of virtual goods is a
booming industry.
In fact, there are the first kitchen-table outfits that specialize in
custom made outfits for various games popular in Asia.

Trade is actually being encouraged and the first virtual world operators
are looking at making a buck from taxing it by issuing trader licences in
form of access to selected sniplets of source code.

For me it looks as if in a few years, 'Virtual Armor Smith(TM)' or 'Online
Reality Taylor' could become an acceptable job description on a (virtual)
name card.

Once big business realizes what is happening, they might be smart enough
to find common platforms that will allow 'inhabitants' of one VR world to
take their characters and equipment into another. Once that is possible,
it is only a matter of time until 'virtual real estate brokers' and others
will make an appearance.

In the end, online or off, experiences for the brain are a matter of
electronic signals and stimuli. As technology improves, it is only a
matter of time until the border between reality and perceived reality
starts to desintegrate. And with constant improvements in productivity
this may very well be a good thing. After all, ever fewer people are
producing ever more goods and services, and the masses of jobs that will
be irreplaceably lost in the next few decades will mean that large
segments of the populace serve only as consumers. For them some sort of
occupation needs to be created - and when that occupation is virtual, they
won't waste any resources...

Cheers,
Robert.

Which Virtual Reality Can We Host For You Today?

budget & privacy website hosting
http://www.cyberica.net
budget & privacy domain registrations + mail
http://www.u2planet.com/cfdomaintrust.html