Sorry to barge in on this but am very curious

What does " Redeemable for Gold" mean in the real world? Vs "Backed" by
gold? I realise that the obvious answer is that if you have a big enough
chunk they will give you some actual gold if you ask for it, but in what
sense is there security for the account holders?

 Some of the appeal of having gold is the sense that it is "safe" but I am
unclear of what this means in practice (Another point of appeal of gold is
as a hedge against inflation of which unfortunately there hasn't been much
over the last few years).

Sorry if all of this has been thrashed out in the past, but I am a bit
unclear about it.

Can someone walk me through the following hypothetical scenario:

I go to log into the e-gold site and it is down.

Let's say hypothetically that the site is down because e-gold can't meet
its obligations to its host.

The Companies Office (or whatever they have)in Nevis says that e-gold has
gone into receivership.

In order to retrieve my share of the gold, what should I do next?

Indeed, for the vast majority of account holders from all over the world
whose holdings are nowhere near the cost of any legal fees, how on earth
can they retrieve their funds?

The point I am making is that if it is too difficult for the account
holders to access the asset if the company falls over, then it makes no
difference whether the asset is gold, toothpaste, or in fact an
interest-earning account. One of the advantages nation-states have over
the private currency issuers that come around every 30 years or so is
their relative longevity compared to entities such as private companies.

The very few exceptions to this rule (such as the British East India
company)did not have currency as their core business and had a level of
power comparable to a nation-state before issuing currency.

So can anyone tell me if there is a sense in which e-gold is more secure
than, say, evocash?

P.S. (entirely different topic)has anyone seen this?
http://free.financialmail.co.za/coulsononair/couldrdeep.htm