> >A PC program's no good to anyone, no one in a web
> >development context ever means, like, a home PC or a mac or a
> >programmable HP calculator ...
>
> Actually in this context a program that runs off of a webserver is
> completely inefficient.  If you were trying to crack somebody's e-gold
> account automatically, you would probably have a program that runs off
> your PC... because you don't know how much time it will take.  For
> example.. if you wanted to perform a single e-gold spend at a time, you
> could do it through a web interface.. but if you had a batch of a 1000
> spends to do, you would do those through a PC program.

Yes, I think you can do automated attacks on e-gold accounts both ways,
directly from a webserver or from a PC connected to the internet.
>From a PC connected to the net one needs a PC program.
The little program I made only cracks the (old) turing numbers, but adding
just a few lines of code one could have easily developped it further into a
simple program to do automated attacks on e-gold account from any Windows PC
connected to the internet.
I didn't go that far because cracking the turing numbers was already
sufficient to prove my point, and it was no need to spread a full blown
e-gold attack software.
The e-gold people got the message and improved the turing images.
Really that's an argument that cannot be denied: if the old turing numbers
where as good as jpm wanted us to believe, then what was the need to change
them?

> By the way Danny, if you have and images of the old e-gold turing
> numbers saved, I'll be happy to wrap it with a php script so it can run
> through the web.  You would have to make it a command line program
> instead, that takes the Image url in as an argument and simply prints
> out the ascii numbers.
>
> I wonder if Jay can provide us with a few of the old e-gold turing
> numbers.

The little program complete with Visual Basic source code and about 30 or 40
saved turing images (old version) are still up for download on my site in a
zip package:  http://www.fourpillars.net/finance/turingdecoder.zip

I don't really see much use to put it on the web, but if you want to do it
go ahead.
The point was in cracking the images into asci text. On what platform
(Windows PC, Mac, webserver, webpage) I succeeded to do it is not so
important.
It is just a technical question to port it to other possible uses.

Danny