Hi Jens,

That subject has come up here. I know you guys have much more experience
in typing non-ASCII characters into computers (because I've set up
computers for schools that teach Japanese), but as we cannot practically
invent a new single or double byte character of a G with a line down the
middle (the world has enough trouble with the Euro € symbol) many of us
refer to the GAU (grams of AU, the chemical symbol for gold - it comes
from the Latin "aurum", and we pronounce it "gow" to rhyme with "cow"),
as a common unit of currency.

Centigrams do get used also, by using two decimal places much as we are
used to referring to "cents" as one hundredth of a dollar. Note that the
default payment in a "two cents worth" link is actually two centigrams!
:) The only difference is that the gold cents are worth ten or more
times what a US cent (or a yen) is. This is not so unreal to people my
age who can think back two or three decades and think of what dollars
and cents used to be worth!

In summary, grams are convenient for everyday purchases, but ounces are
excellent for big-ticket items. Grams have been espoused a lot amongst
the people here, but I am well aware that most people think in terms of
USD per troy ounce as is usually given in the mainstream financial news.
I think that the per ounce 'gold price' in dollars is easier to follow,
when tracking the movement of the dollar's value relative to gold than
following the cents movement in the per gram gold price.

Regards,
Ian Green
http://iangreen.2cw.org
http://107242.e-gold.com/