On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 03:11 AM, Wilkinson Jens wrote:

I actually had a scenario in mind when I asked this
question. I was trying to imagine some small town grocer
selling apples, and having to write up a sign that says:
one apple - 0.008 GAU, which doesn't seem the easiest way
to write up a sign. ...

I agree. First, although I like the "GAU" designation used in Pecunix for its technical accuracy, in many cases it is already understood that gold is the commodity being traded. As a result, people will continue to use convenient notations like 3.7g or 370cg, which specify only a quantity and a unit of mass.

Second, I also agree that nitpicky fractional amounts with lots of zeroes like 0.008 are inconvenient. It is common to use 'mg' to represent a milligram (of gold). The price of an apple in your scenario would be 8mg -- a nice whole number.

-- Patrick

--- You are currently subscribed to e-gold-list as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.