John,

> Sounds nifty until you realize Kyoto is a BS government scarcity decree on
> the world economy. Climate shifts from warm periods to deep ice ages have
> come and gone well before we ever got here and the factors affecting such
> things are probably beyond our powers, and up to much greater influences.
> Volcanoes for example can absolutely dwarf impacts of man made sources
> depending on their activity. Putting arbitrary limits and controls that will
> have huge ramifications on the output of the world economy based on
> questionable science and data is foolhardy.

I agree wholeheartedly :o) I never subscribed to the idea that carbon
emissions cause global warming (especially as just 20 years ago the same
mob predicted a new ice age because the carbon cloued would block the
sun).
However, I do care about the quality of air I breathe and the amount of
pollutants my vegetables absorb (you haven't tasted lettuce until you
tried some in a village in Asia), although I can't do much about the stuff
that's in my meat.
I liked the concept of carbon credits because I am a pratical minded
person and happen to have lived in areas where rain forrests were logged
and the land turned into a barren surface in a matter of a few months.
Paying people not to use their natural resources makes perfect sense to
me, and having those pay who consume the most appears the fairest deal.
It's not as if the West couldn't afford cleaner waste disposal and
gasification instead of slow incineration. It just costs more.

Being a lot in Malaysia I have also seen the sky yellowish grey for weeks
on end from forrest fires started by illegal loggers 600 km away. Being
ocean front we get the best air most of the time and having to breathe
that grey soup lead to all sorts of complications. Paying the people there
to stop logging hence makes sense to me.

I do however agree, that the markets should set the price - as in fact
they did during the pilot projects and case studies. The timeber value of
the tree, divided by the 20 years it would take to replace loggable growth
times, times the amount of carbon the tree would absorb, times estimated
number of trees per hectare.

To dermine the amount of excessive carbon (ie. who has to pay and how
much) simply take the total amount of carbon emitted by the industry of a
country and divide it by the number of inhabitants. Do a global estimat to
get the average, and then calculate who produces more emissions per capita
and how much.
And this way of calculating it actually rigged in favor of industrialized
nations who have access to the latest technologies while developping
countries use mainly outdated installations that pollute much more per
capita, but overall much less than their Western counterparts.

Don't forget, it all started with us industrialized nations telling them
developping nations that they can't cut their trees anymore and can't use
certain gas compounds for refrigeration, etc, etc.

So, in all fairness, it wasn't them who started it. They were happy
logging, strip-mining and polluting for a quick buck while we busily
dragnet-fished 12 miles off their shores...

I'm neither green, nor an environmentalist and like making money (in gold
please) as much as the next, but I'd like to ensure that there is
something left to spend it on.

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting