Hello David,

Isn't your model a bit too abstract, yet at the same time incomplete as it
does not allow for growing population and continued reduction in arable
land?

What I mean to say is that due to continued net growth in population
(allowing for reductions in some industrialized nations being balanced
through the influx of immigrants from nations that continue to experience
population growth), land becomes relatively more scarce, independently
from the prevailing interest and rental factors. Adding to this the
continued reduction of arable land and the growth and expansion of natural
desserts and man-made infertile soils (over-irrigation,
over-fertilization, etc.), the amount of usable land is gradually
decreasing.

Now, if that holds true, and it possibly will for decades to come, then
arable land might in fact become scarce enough to become more valuable
than average residential properties. The resoning behind this claim would
be that in order to feed an ever larger population, one will need to start
using barren areas to build greenhouses, clean up the spoil, use
hydroponic growth methods, etc. The currently high cost of such
installations makes it unfeasible due to the low cost of overly available
foodstuffs. However, if the amount of available food starts to decrease
and the requirement for more food continues to increase, food prices will
increase.
Higher food prices will warrant more investments into food production
facilities which in turn will first lead to a sharp rise in the value of
agricultural land - until the prices reach a level at which they will be
at par with the cost of geening barren areas, building floating orchards,
etc.

On a side note, *some* land that has not not been polluted through
pesticides, etc. could proof an invaluable source of fresh water...

Not to reduce the obvious work you have already put into the model and
formulae it is based on (great job by the way) but unless we are able to
manipulate fractuals into any type of matter at will (which would then
make gold useless as money), we are depending on each square foot of soil
more than on anything else on the planet - unless we kill off a billion or
two of the inhabitants and start using their land to grow our food in say,
three generations...

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting