ARP is a protocol which is part of the networking stack on most systems.  The
Ethernet HW and associated driver to not implement protocols unless they have
some sort of TCP Offload Engine (TOE) in them.  Our HW is not TOE enabled.  Our
HW nay assist the protocol with thing like TCP checksumming but the networking
protocols are not actually processed.  The packets are sent up the stack for
the protocols to be handled.

I think you may need a more basic overview of you a networking stack works.
Please refer to material found on the web regarding how networking stacks work.

Thanks.

Cheers,
John