>>  This is very odd.  I booted into Windows to verify what settings it
>>  uses for this NIC relating to WOL.  What I found:
>>  [x] Wake on Magic Packet
>>  [x] Wake on Pattern Match
>>  [x] Wake of Magic Packet from power off state
>>
>>  I shutdown from Windows and again, it went down and did not wake up.  I
>>  booted into Linux.  I verified the exact same output from `ethtool
>>  eno1` as I posted above.  I then issued a `shutdown -h now` and the box
>>  went down and stayed down.  I woke it up with a `wol xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx`
>>  and then shut it down again.  It stayed off this time.  I repeated 10
>>  times and found that 2 our of the 10 times, it woke back up.  Can
>>  anyone explain to me what is going on with this and do you believe that
>>  it is related to the Linux kernel driver for this NIC?
>
> I don't think so as the filter would be programmed to the HW from the driver
> settings the same way each time.  Could it be that when the system woke up
> that
> there was a packet received from the network that caused this to happen?  Is
> this on a completely isolated network or is there lots of traffic on it?

It is a home LAN of only a few machines.  If I pull the network cable, then
shutdown from the local machine, the box will go down, and then wake up again
all by itself suggesting that it isn't spurious network traffic causing it.
What I can't seem to get past is that if I boot the box to windows, and
shutdown from there, I do not see this problem.  If I boot the box to Linux, I
do see the problem.  Very difficult to troubleshoot.