On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 12:51 +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wonder - what is the intent of the Intel Ethernet Drivers and
> Utilities site:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/ ?
>
> It includes some drivers which are in mainline kernel.
>
> Is it for Intel drivers with enhanced features which are not yet in
> mainlined and are intended to be mainlined in the future ?

No not necessarily.  We try to keep our out-of-tree and in-kernel
drivers very close in features and versions, but there can be times
where one is newer than the other.  The main purpose of the out-of-tree
drivers is to provide our latest drivers, that can be installed on older
kernels.  So if you are running SLES 11 SP3 or RHEL 6.5 for an example,
you can install the drivers from the sourceforge site and get pretty
much the same driver that is in the latest kernel (3.18-rc5 currently)

> Or is it for features of Intel drivers which are not intended to be
> mainlined from this reason or another ?

No, but our out-of-tree drivers may contain some features which are not
upstream.