>     With that commented everything works splendid
Well not really as none of the HW configuration setting have been loaded out of
the EEPROM.  The NIC may still work but you could run into problems like the
PHY not being configured correctly which can cause link problem as certain
cable lengths for example.

> but I would like to update
> the eeprom as that will allow the card to effectively work out of the box
> IMHO.
So you need to figure out if the EEPROM isn't configured correctly or if you
are having trouble reading the EEPROM on that system.  So with the checksum
code commented out as you have it now see what happens when you dump the
contents of the EEPROM using ethtool.  It should give us a clue as to what the
issue is.  Your NIC may not have been programmed and you'll need to return it
for one that has been programmed correctly.

Cheers,
John