On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 21:29 +0800, Bob Liu wrote:
> > Would you mind sending your actual test cases to prove that the page
> > is free when calling _skb_frag_unref
>
> I'm afraid not, it's a complex testing program and difficult to run on
> external environment because of many dependencies.
>
> > from the ixgbe code. This seems like a viable area this would be
> going
> > wrong and we need synchronization
> > for packets calling dev_kfree_skb_any in ixgbe_clean_tx_irq if this
> is
> > happening.
>
> Since it's a iSCSI device, I'd like to know whether ixgbe driver will
> notifiy the upper layer "transmit package complete" before
> dev_kfree_skb_any()?
>
> The situation I'm worry about is like this:
>
> block driver:                               net driver:
> submit_bio()
>
> ixgbe_xmit_frame_ring()
>                                                 notify block driver tx
> done
>
> bio_done()
> {
>     free_page()
> }
>
>                                                  dev_kfree_skb_any()
>                                                  ^^^ Here the page
> already freed by block driver.

Bob-
I am sorry you had to deal with Nick.  He is not an Intel developer,
even though he talks as if he was.  He has now been banned from our
mailing list (this has been coming for some time now).

In a few hours, most of the ixgbe developers will be in the office and
can assist you with your questions/inquiries.

Cheers,
Jeff