I had to ask for help on this as I don't keep up with SoC parts, but the
problem appears that we don't support the copper module. Until you reboot, the
part could be confused if you plug it in.

This should all be in the readme:

Devices based on the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X552 and Intel(R) Ethernet
Connection X553 do not support the following features:
* Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)
* Intel PROSet for Windows Device Manager
* Intel ANS teams or VLANs (LBFO is supported)
* Data Center Bridging (DCB)
* IPSec Offloading
* MACSec Offloading
In addition, SFP+ devices based on the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X552 and
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection X553 do not support the following features:
* Speed and duplex auto-negotiation.
* Wake on LAN
* 1000BASE-T SFP Modules

Todd Fujinaka