On 1/11/2024 4:21 AM, kumar.mo...@swisscom.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unlike the previous releases for the drivers, we don’t see the column for
> version anymore for the Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver in SUSE
> Linux (SLE15-SP4) when doing modinfo igb.
>
> Is this something expected and if yes, is there any other way to get the igb
> driver versions? For older SUSE installations we have , we see 5.6.0-k or
> something like that for igb driver versions.

Hi Mohit,

The Intel out-of-tree (OOT) drivers (like the one you download from
sourceforge) have a version number in them, but in the upstream, version
numbers were removed by the kernel community, and the version is
equivalent to the kernel the driver was released with.

If there was some reason you thought you needed a driver version, please
let us know.

The reason the kernel community removed the driver versions from
upstream (and therefore from consumers of upstream, like the SLES distro
you mention) is that the version numbers were misleading, wrong, or not
kept up to date. Basically the idea that comparing in-kernel to OOT
using a version number is not a good idea, as the drivers are not the
same, they're two different products released at different times, with
differing functionality.

If you need the specific upstream commit that igb was updated to in the
SLE15 SP4 release, please contact SuSE.

Hope this helps!
Jesse