There are use cases, where you run an e4 application, but some parts are
not directly able to access the IEclipseContext. Especially if a
framework is single sourced between e4 and 3.x
As an example I had the following case: An application provides a
extension mechnism which action should be triggered on double clicking
an element. The extension point allows to implement a simple interface
(Opener):

open(Object object)

In case of 3.x I want to open an editor by default. In case of e4, I
want to open a Part. As the core does not know about e4, I don't have
any IEclipseContext in the e4 Opener. I can therefore not directly
retrieve an EPartService.

Cheers

Jonas