At 02:38 AM 10/18/2005, Rob MacKillop wrote:
>I'm a little surprised at people who try pinkie playing for a either a few
>minutes or as much as a couple of months and then reject it.

I don't feel too bad in rejecting it.  I will never be the kind of musician
who does not need to keep the day job.  As much as I love music, the time
to which I can commit to it is much slimmer than I would prefer.  If I
decide to spend some of my time with 19th-c. guitars, I feel justified
enough in that there were plenty of 19th-c. guitarists who also elected to
not brace the pinkie.  I would bet some of them even played Sor's music
with their hands free of the soundboard.  I would argue that investing
personal conviction and a degree of confidence in a selected, historic
approach is as important as the approach itself.

>This topic seems to keep being dragged into debate about whether it is a
>good technique or not.

I haven't perceived that here.  That I have not devoted my time to the
technique shouldn't be taken to imply that I am dismissing it as inferior;
it just isn't what I do.

Best,
Eugene